If you want to help us identify all the prisons and jails in the United States or other countries, here's how:
- Contact Ed Sawicki and you'll be assigned a state and a jail type (county or city).
- You may also volunteer to submit prison information for other countries.
- You'll collect the information and place it in a text file that's described below.
- Send it to Ed Sawicki via email.
Information about prisons and jails is communicated via an XML-formatted, plain text file. Here's an example of what that looks like:
<marker> <name>Clallam County Jail</name> <adr>223 East 4th Street, Port Angeles</adr> <state>WA</state> <geo>48.11581859, -123.4325759</geo> <tag>County</tag> <gender>Male and Female</gender> <id>ejs</id> </marker> <marker> <name>Algona Prison</name> <adr>Main Street, Kent</adr> <state>WA</state> <geo>47.27820057, -122.2477160</geo> <tag>County</tag> <cap>17</cap> <employs>6</employs> <gender>Male</gender> <open>1997</open> <id>ejs</id> </marker> <marker> <name>Score Regional Jail</name> <aka>South Correctional Entity</aka> <adr>20817 17th Ave S, Des Moines</adr> <state>WA</state> <geo>47.41489428, -122.3125661</geo> <tag>City</tag> <cap>802</cap> <gender>Male and Female</gender> <note>Owners are Auburn, Burien, Des Moines, Renton, SeaTac, and Tukwila</note> <url>https://blanfordlaw.com/score-jail/</url> <id>ejs</id> </marker>
This format allows you to put in as much information as you can find. Here's what these lines mean:
- There must be a <name>, <adr>, <state>, and <tag>.
- All of these identifiers, such as name, adr, and state must be in lower case.
- If the prison or jail is known by another name, place it in <aka>.
- If you know the maximum number of inmates a prison or jail can hold, place it in <cap>.
- <gender> specifies the gender of those who are incarcerated. Generally, jails have both male and female. Prisons are usually segregated. Please capitalize Male and Female.
- Add notes if you discover interesting information. You can add as many <note> lines as you need.
- If you know the number of employees of the jail or prison, place it in <employs>.
- If you know how to convert an address into geographic coordinates, place the coordinates in <geo>. (Latitude comes first.) If you don't know how, we'll do it later.
- If you know the official website URL for the prison or jail, put it in <url>.
- If you run into an interesting news story, such as abuse at the prison or jail, add the URL in another <url> line.
- Place your initials in <id>.